This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to test the working atmosphere, using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work.
It applies to situations where an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. The competency requires the person to interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
Working environment may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night. Workplace atmospheres may include visible and invisible hazards and hazardous surfaces.
The unit is suitable for use in the following situations:
– Confined spaces
– Enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
– Hot work
– Storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
– Testing as part of issuing a work permit
– Monitoring as part of working under a work permit
– Open areas
– Holding the gas tester by hand
– Lowering the gas tester into a space, eg: on a line
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.